So anyone who knows me or has read my previous posts will know why I dreaded today’s bakes as I cannot stand my paws covered in melted chocolate, and by saying covered I actually mean even the tiniest morsel on a single claw fills me with horror 😩😩😩! Melted chocolate has a mind of its own in my experience and I always find it on things / in places it does not belong nor has it been anywhere near! 😡
However, at the request of Mr&MrsH I agreed to produce a Chocolate Cheesecake (blog to follow) and Chocolate Brownies for our upcoming visit………(there better be lots of red wine!😂)……Oooo and we will be playing Cards Against Humanity which is described online as “a party game for horrible people”!!!!! Sugar + Wine + Game + Terrible Sense of Humour = Hilariousness!
This recipe really is super duper (or super dooper?…hmmmm) easy and would be great to make with little mini humans and the best thing about home baked goodies is that we know exactly what is in them……who am I kidding with the Mother Earth type chat, I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s when microwave meals were posh and a balanced breakfast was a roll and jam whilst walking to school. Shock horror we made it to adulthood whilst eating way too many packs of Tayto’s (often between 2 pieces of WHITE bread slathered in butter), sweets with no nutritional value and drinking Alpine illuminous juice…….but each to your own!
Anyway enough of my chitter chatter, let’s get on with the recipe for these babies.
80g Soft Unsalted Butter
100g Soft Brown Sugar
90g Plain Flour
10g Cocoa Powder
2 Large Free Range Eggs (room temperature…..please don’t let me rant about fridge eggs again!)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp salt
150g chopped chocolate (I used a mix of Galaxy, leftover Quality Street and White Chocolate)
1. Preheat the oven to 175c/350F/ Gas 4.
2. Grease and line a 9″ Brownie Pan. (If you don’t have a square brownie pan, just use a 8 or 9 inch cake tin).
3. Using a paddle beater or hand mixer combine the butter and sugar until lighter in colour and fluffy – in my kenwood this takes 3 minutes and with and electric hand beater it takes 5-7 minutes……..if you have the urge to do old school with a wooden spoon, say goodbye to 15 minutes of your life you will never get back!
4. Add the eggs and vanilla slowly and continue beating till combined – don’t worry if it looks slightly curdled-esque as this will be fine.
5. Add 320g of the Nutella and beat till light and fluffy.
6. Combine the Cocoa Powder, Flour and Salt with 100g of the Chocolate Chips/chunks and fold into the brownie mix. Make sure everything is combined but don’t over mix! (Tip/Hint; seemingly you should only need to mix 8 figure of 8’s to combine ANY mixture….but let’s not be too fussy, just mix it well!).
7. Pour into the prepared brownie pan and level out.
8. Using a teaspoon put dollops of the remaining Nutella on the top of the brownie mix and using a toothpick drag squiggly patters over the top to lightly mix the Nutella into the mix – go easy as we want this to stay on the top! Then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips/chunks over the top and place in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes. As usual I rotated mine two thirds of the way through to combat my ridiculously crap oven! Test the Brownies are ready by sticking a toothpick in and when you remove it there should be a couple of crumbs sticking to it, if it still looks like chocolate batter pop it in for another couple of minutes as you don’t want to overbake them!
9. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, leave to cool in the brownie pan and once fairly cool remove and sprinkle with icing sugar and cut into preferred size, I get 12 large Brownies from this mix! Keep in an airtight container and eat within 3 days – why would there ever be some left after 3 days???.?….. If they are not all scoffed in day one, they are delicious warmed in the oven or microwave and served with cream/ice cream on day 2 and 3!
Hope you enjoy the Brownies and I look forward to seeing any photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! 😊😊😊 Remember, life is what you bake it!